As anybody knows who's ever had to support Microsoft Office installs, there are a myriad of problems that you may run into. One such obscure problem popped up a few days ago. One of our employees complained that her spell-checker had just stopped working. Well, after reviewing the problem sure enough no matter what I did it wouldn't work, and by not working I mean it was a dead link with no response after selecting it. After some troubleshooting I came to the conclusion that the problem had occured because the user had installed Microsoft Office 2007 over top of 2003 and this had corrupted the spellchecker. I found the solution from this thread on lockergnome.com
I've detailed below how to fix this in a few steps. As always, if your not experienced in editing your registry, please don't tackle this as you may create even more problems.
1. Press the Windows Key+R on your keyboard to bring up the RUN box.
2. Type "regedit" press enter. No quotes of course.
3. When the Registry window appears navigate to:
4. Find these 2 entries (DLL and LEX), entries that don't exist anymore from the OLD installation.
5. Rename these to "oldDLL" and "oldLEX".
6. Close registry.